Monday, April 5, 2010

A real weird Easter


On Friday night I got each of my kids an Easter basket. I told Lily that if she went to sleep and stayed in her own bed that she might get a surprise from the Easter Bunny. She asked me "what's an Easter Bunny?" Oh yeah, we were trying NOT to make up imaginary people for them. (Whoops. Oh well.)

Anyway. I waited for her to go to sleep. When I peeked in her room at 1:00 she was still awake. Later she came in to our room and wanted to sleep on the floor. About 4:00 in the morning I snuck out of the room to get the Easter basket so she would find it when she woke up. As soon as I walked back into the room, she said, "Mommy, what's that you're holding?" I said "nothing", and hid it under the bed.

At about 7:00 in the morning, I got it out from under the bed and stuck it next to her. She said, "Mommy, what are you giving me?" I guess our non-imaginary beings policy is still intact. ;)

Both of the kids LOVED the Easter baskets. We sat on the bed, and ate candy, and played with toys from their baskets. I didn't realize that one of the candies in the basket was a giant box of Nerds, so we ended up with Nerds and Easter grass all over the bed. Violet got a little fuzzy sheep in her basket. She carried it around all morning, showing it to everyone and saying,"Sheep. Love my sheep." I think this might be the first time she has gotten a stuffed animal that was not second hand, and that she was old enough to remember it. It was a great morning.

Later that day I was getting some food ready for the family Easter egg hunt and lunch, and talking to my parent's on Skype. I wanted to show off our new house. While I was carrying the computer around and showing them, I fell down the stairs. Not the whole staircase, just the last 3 stairs.

I twisted to try to miss Violet, who was playing on the stairs, and to try to catch myself, and not drop the computer. When I landed I felt a crack or a pop, so I knew that it was bad news. When I tried to to pick my foot up, I heard another pop. It hurt if I put weight on it, or if I didn't put any weight on it.

Stefan took the kids to Katie's and took me to the hospital. I had to crawl out to the car because I absolutely couldn't get up. It would have been really embarrassing, except no one was watching and I was in a lot of pain.

I got an X-ray, and the doctor told us that it was surgically fractured, bilaterally. That meant I would have to get pins in it, and that it broke all the way through. That didn't really surprise me because when they were moving my foot for X-rays, I kept hearing/feeling a kind of crunching sound. (I know, gross right?)

Fortunately an orthopedic surgeon was in that day and he worked on my leg. (I got really lucky, too. Jay said that the surgeon I got is one of the best ones in the county.) I couldn't eat and drink all day. (No Easter treats for me :(). When I woke up and the anaesthetic wore off, it hurt like crazy! I got some good pain meds, and pretty soon I could use a walker or crutches to go to the bathroom.

I haven't been able to get much farther yet, but I'm down to about 2 Percocet per day, and I get a real cast (hopefully a walking cast) next Wednesday.

Also, I am working on getting some sweet abs!

Thanks to everyone for their love and support!

No comments: